Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Gnama-Kanté | Bimolamoya



Listen to "Moussa Kaba"

Grab the whole album here

I found this lovely CD, along with a number of other pirated treasures, several years ago in a sort of drugstore / 99-cent emporium on White Plains Road somewhere between the 219 and 233 Street stops. I was on my way to Moodies Records and Tapes -- a semi-famous purveyor of reggae on vinyl, cassette and CD -- and noticed an African music store stop out the window of the elevated train. 

Only one CD came home with me from the African music store -- a 1992 pop album by Yvonne Chaka Chaka -- but while walking up the street toward Moodies, I somehow noticed that this odd sort of mish-mash store had racks of CDs. A whole aisle of them. I had no idea where these CDs had come from, other than Africa. I think I assumed Nigeria, based solely on the fact that the only sub-Saharan African music I'd previously managed to stumble onto in my travels around the boroughs was Nigerian (found at Blessing Udeagu copy and DVD shop in East Elmhurst). 

For some reason I never got around to uploading this and, in fact, had forgotten all about it until putting together tracks for tomorrow night's Bodega Pop Live show. When I heard it I dropped everything to share it with you. And, so, here we are.

3 comments:

Holly said...

This *is* lovely Gary, thank you.

Sun Ira said...

Finally got around to listening to this. As Holly noted, it truly is lovely, a great listen. Thanks for all you do.

Gary said...

Glad to hear you liked it!